STARLA KAYE’S GUEST AUTHOR – BARBARA EDWARDS on writing sexy, sensuous or spicy

Today I’m welcoming Barbara Edwards to my blog and she is sharing her thoughts on writing sexy, sensuous or spicy stories.

Thank you, Starla, for having me as your guest.

I love to read scenes of seduction. I enjoy the smooth moves of the hero and the trembling responses of the heroine in the old Barbara Cartland novels all the way to J.D. Robb’s wonderful sexual antics with her hero and heroine. Modern erotica blows my mind. I am surprised by the ability of women to portray such intimate details. And try reading an inspirational romance for a taste of sexual tension without touching. So what’s my problem?

My major stumbling block has been writing those titillating scenes. Let me tell you about my struggles with sex scenes. I break into a cold sweat. My fingers shake. How much is too much?  How do I get past my own reluctance and shyness? At this point, I make myself a cup of tea. I ponder my keyboard. I wish I had the easy answer. While all aspects of writing a book can be difficult, sex is tough.

For Ancient Blood, I had to think about physical love between werewolves and humans. Is petting a werewolf foreplay?

Before I begin, I must picture the scene in my head. His hand is here, her arm is there. The room being hot or cold makes an impact. Clothes or bare skin or some degree in between affects the actions. I have to swallow here, get another cup of tea. Next move takes them closer to the ultimate moment. Maybe I should interrupt them. Think about the plot, decide. Maybe I want to build the tension until they break all rules just to be together. I must use my imagination to fill in the blanks.

Don’t get me wrong. I do have a personal sex life and I might add it’s quite satisfying, but my books don’t portray my life. They portray the lives of my characters and my characters can develop some pretty wild relationships.

Or not. In Ancient Awakening, the hero and heroine must not make love. The sexual tension builds.

I’m working on Book Three, Ancient Curse and the hero and heroine want to hop into bed in chapter one. I don’t know what will happen next.

Now let’s talk about your newest book, Ancient Blood, from The Wild Rose Press…

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Page Count: 268
Author: Barbara Edwards,
Print ISBN: 1-60154-916-4

Print ISBN 13: 9781601549167

Buy link:  The Wild Rose Press

BLURB

Lily Alban escapes a murderous stalker, but his vicious attack leaves her with the ability to see auras. She finds safety in the tiny hamlet of Rhodes End where a stranger stands out like a red light. Try as she might to deny her growing desire for Cole, she seeks his help but soon discovers the man she loves is not a man at all.

Werewolf Cole Benedict resists his attraction to Lily. A botanist researching the healing herbs to find a cure for Lycanthropy, he’s determined to protect Lily from her stalker as well as himself even in human form, but instinct takes over when he changes to his inner beast.

Together they must use their extraordinary gifts to catch Lily’s stalker before he attacks again, but revealing their secrets to one another could destroy their growing love or save them both.

EXCERPT

“What makes you so important? Or is this another secret?”

Cole’s eyes darkened. “Lily. I’m pushing the line with you. Give me some slack.”

“I want answers, Cole.” She grabbed his arm as he turned and pulled him to a halt.

He gently, carefully drew her fierce grip into his grasp. His golden eyes heated as he lifted her hand to his lips. “I already told you, Lily. You’d have to mate with me to learn all my secrets.”

Urgent need raced from his lips to her center. His scorching gaze melted her from the inside out. All her being longed to step into his arms, to become one in a way she’d never known. She trembled as she recognized the danger.

OTHER AUTHOR CONTACT INFO

Author Website:  Barbara Edwards

Blog: Barbara Edwards Comments

Facebook: Barbara Edwards

Ancient Blood on Facebook: Ancient Blood

Twitter: Barbara Edwards

Authors Den:  Barbara Edwards

Amazon Authors Page: Barbara Edwards

Email: Barbara Edwards

23 thoughts on “STARLA KAYE’S GUEST AUTHOR – BARBARA EDWARDS on writing sexy, sensuous or spicy

1. Jody Lebel

hmmm, sex with a werewolf? I wouldn’t even know where to begin. Kudos to you, Barb. No wonder you break into a sweat. All the rules change…just when I thought I knew the rules…lol. Do they do it like humans? LIke animals? Slow, fast? Tender or a little vicious? Very interesting. (And I never did like hairy men!) I just might have to buy this book to find out. And I thought writing regular old sex scenes was difficult…

2. Maggie Toussaint

3rd try to leave a comment.

Nice post.

Love scenes are challenging to write, but good sexual tension and good characterization really help get things moving in the right direction

Maggie Toussaint

3. Jennifer Jakes

I agree with Maggie. When I have characters I really know, they more or less “tell” me when it’s time for them to have sex and/or how far that scene will go. But as for the what arm goes where or was his hand tangled in her hair? — that part I find tedious.
    Great post, ladies!

4. Valerie Mann

Yay! It’s Barbara! We met a couple of months ago and spent time together and I can tell you she’s as smart as her books are AWESOME! That excerpt gave me a little chill! Congrats on a new release and fun interview with Starla!

5. Joyce Henderson

I prefer to write sexual tension rather than the ‘a’ goes here, ‘b’ goes there, ‘c’ goes… ? And of course it depends on the heat level I want in a story as to how descriptive I am in sex scenes. Are they easy to write? Nope. I’ve written dozens and they don’t get easier with writing practice. Not for me anyway.

Love the short excerpt, Barbara. This looks like a book I’d enjoy. I love the question, “is petting a wolf foreplay?” I think a human, either sex, would necessarily make love in his own form. The shapeshifter would do the changing. No hairy limbs around me, please! LOL

6. Stephanie Burkhart

Barbara, I agree, the romantic/love aspect of it doesn’t reflect real life, certain emotions I may have felt. It’s a balance. Sexual tension can be very fun to write, I won’t deny that, but I think one has to find a balance in writing love scenes between the physical and the emotional. That’s what really makes the love shine. Don’t just write ‘a’ went into ‘b.’ Show me the emotional connection being made and reinforced.

Smiles
    Steph

7. Mona Risk

Hi Barbara, sex scenes are not easy to write for me too, but sometimes they are an integral part of the story and flow naturally to enhance the plot.

8. Marilyn Yarbrough

Dialogue is the hardest part of a sex scene for me to write. After being married for so long, about the only thing I say is “You’re on my hair!” or “Cramp! Cramp in the leg.”

9. Alyson Reuben

Hi, Starla and Barbara!

Funny, you should be blogging about writing sex scenes, Barbara, because I’ve just realized the WIP I’m currently working on is better if the love scenes are tamer and not so detailed. It’s almost completely opposite from my ‘spicy’ book that’s about to come out next month. So I totally understand how your three books have such different sexual situations in them.

Figuring out how detailed to go probably depends the most on knowing your characters VERY well and keeping with the general tone of the story – i.e. serious versus humorous, dark versus light, conservative versus trendy.

Great interview, btw!

Oh, and Marilyn’s comment (just above mine) is soooooo funny! lol

1. Barbara Edwards

Hi Alyson,
      Isn’t it funny how the characters dictate every action? I’m still holding my h/h back in book three and wondering if I should let them at it.
      Dcisions, decisions.
      Barbara

10. Margaret Tanner

Hi Barbara,
    Great blog. I have problems with sex scenes too. I can easily write the “tame” ones but hot stuff is much harder, but it depends on my characters too. I find it easy to write hot sex with some characters yet others I struggle.

Hopefully one day I will master it.

Regards